The Winchester Repeating Arms Company was a prominent American manufacturer of repeating firearms and ammunition. Oliver Winchester founded it in 1866 in New Haven, Connecticut. In 1931, the firm went into receivership and was bought by the Western Cartridge Company, which later became the Olin Corporation. The Winchester name is still owned by the Olin Corporation, which makes ammunition under that name. The Winchester brand is also used under license by FN Herstal of Belgium and Browning Arms Company of Utah.